Tags: Whatever It Takes
Total Raised: $30,464
How have we helped?
The funds were raised by 21st Century Leaders, from the sale of Whatever It Takes products.
Funds donated by 21st Century Leaders were used to support the Viva Amazonia Project in Brazil.
Greenpeace is an independent non-profit global campaigning organisation that uses non- violent, creative confrontation to expose global environmental problems and their causes. They research the solutions & alternatives to help provide a path for a green & peaceful future.
Viva Amazonia Project
The Amazon Basin covers 7.8 Million km2, 9 countries and 5% of the planet's land surface. It is home to almost 1/2 of all known species on earth including:
• 353 mammal species
• 60'000 plant species
• 1'000 bird species
• 30+ million species of insects
• 3'000 fish species
The rate of deforestation for 2003 - 2004 reached 26'130km2 - equal to 6 football fields being destroyed EVERY MINUTE. Forest destruction causes not only plant and animal loss, but also social turmoil & conflict with wars raging between loggers, ranchers and farmers for control of the land.
Following its success in the protection of the middle and southern areas of the Amazon, Greenpeace is now working to form a protected "Green Wall' through the remaining areas of deforestation.
They will do this by:
• Putting pressure on the Federal & State governments to establish more protected areas & ensure sustainable development.
• Closely monitoring & documenting the continued destruction of the rainforest & exposing those responsible to the world's media.
• Working on the ground to bring to task illegal loggers, whilst also applying market pressure on companies involved in the trade of illegal timbers.
• Working with local governments to encourage them not to use illegally logged Amazon timber for the construction of local buildings.
• Working to halt the illegal destruction of the forest for soya crops and cattle ranching by highly aggressive and competitive agribusiness sector.