Total Raised: $131,247
How have we helped?
21st Century Leaders have raised funds for Virgin Unite & its partner charities from the sale of Whatever It Takes products. $26,748 was donated from sale of wristbands. This donation was used to fund the Starfish project detailed below.
In addition $16,000 was donated from the WIT Natalie Imbruglia auction prize at the Royal family of Qatar's Reach Out To Asia Gala Dinner event in November 2006, which went directly to the Campaign to End Fistula project detailed below.
Grants paid out by 3rd parties
21st Century Leaders organised the following donations for Virgin Unite. $86,000 to Virgin Unite (Campaign to End Fistula) when Natalie Imbruglia kindly performed in Qatar, in November 2006 at the ROTA Gala Dinner for The Royal Family of Qatar.
Click here for more photos from the event
About Virgin Unite
Virgin Unite, unite people to tackle tough social and environmental problems in an entrepreneurial way. Their aim is to help revolutionise the way businesses and the social sector work together – driving business as a force for good.
This is based on the belief that this is the only way we can tackle the scale of the challenges facing the world today.
Virgin Unite’s overheads are covered by Sir Richard Branson and the Virgin Group, meaning that 100% of additional donations received, go direct to the frontline where they are needed most. Virgin Unite focuses on three areas:
1. Big Ideas - Creating new global leadership models to address conflict, climate change and disease.
2. Entrepreneurial Incubator - Bringing together the business and social sectors to develop entrepreneurial approaches that lead to economic empowerment and healthy communities.
3. Business Mobilisation and Inspiration - Offering consultancy and practical support to make it simple for businesses to become a force for good.
Campaign to end Fistula
Obstetric fistula is a childbirth injury. It occurs when emergency obstetric care is unavailable to women who develop complications in labour. Prolonged, difficult childbirth can last up to 6 or 7 days. The fetus will usually die after 2 or 3 and the soft tissues of the pelvis are so badly damaged that they it causes a fistula, or hole, between the vagina & bladder, or vagina & rectum, or both.
Starfish is an international charity helping to support children orphaned or made vulnerable by HIV/AIDS in Southern Africa. By 2010 an estimated 2.3 million children will be orphaned as a result of AIDS in South Africa, whilst thousands of others will be in vulnerable situations as their family units disintegrate.
The donation from 21st Century Leaders went towards:
• Purchasing a new piece of land for more space, a decent sized playground & a survival food garden
• Playground equipment
• Educational equipment & toy
• Fencing & Security
• The remaining funds will go towards supporting the garden the crèche.